Sunday, September 19, 2010

New Challenge

I finished my half marathon! YAY! And, since I think that anyone that reads this blog also reads my personal one, I will spare the stories twice. I am on to the next challenge.

I discovered that I really kept up with my running because I was training for a race. As you guys know, I have had issues losing weight and I thought that once I got on meds for the thyroid it would be a bit easier...well, it hasn't been. I think that if I am being 100% honest, I haven't eaten as good as I possibly could but I have definitely committed to working out. I like working out. I don't think that I ate horribly but I think that I can do better. So, now the problem comes that I am done with my half marathon and since it is about to get miserably cold in Ohio in a couple months and stay that way for a while, it appears that my chances of doing another half will have to wait until the spring. UGH. I would love to say that I am going to continue the running and I sincerely hope that I will but there is nothing like a looming race to keep you motivated. I am still going to do the Ghosts and Goblins race and I am sure the Turkey Trot and whatever they have for xmas here but a 5k seems like a warm up after yesterday's race. Hmm, what to do???

I have been saying for a REALLY long time that I wanted to start training with weights, but I just never started it. I think that I used the excuse that I didn't want to be sore for my long runs and then after I did my long runs, I was sore. It seemed like a vicious cycle and when you add in the travel, it was pretty easy to avoid. After seeing how I felt after some of the long runs (and after the long bike ride) I feel like I definitely need to add weights. I think that doing cardio will prepare the muscles you use to a certain point but I feel like adding in some weights will take me over that hump when the cardio training gives out. I have started to notice that my legs get tired long before my breathing does. I think that I am going to try to get to the gym to do it on the weekends but for now, I am going to start with Jillian's 30 shred. I have it all loaded into my work computer and all I have to do is fire it up every day. It is 20 mins and I can definitely find 20 mins every day (C might make fun of me on vacation but oh well). So, I am going to start with that on Tuesday and I am going to commit to doing it for 30 straight days. After that we will see what is next. I think that one of my coworkers is going to send me a copy of the Insanity workout and I think that might be 90 days so that gets me to Jan...by the time I will be starting on the treadmill again for my spring half...maybe this can work.

If you have any other ideas to keep me motivated through the winter, feel free to share them...I sort of need defined goals (like completing the half or doing the shred for 30 days). If I don't have a schedule and a plan then I am likely to skip. I have yet to figure out how to make myself "just do it" without some end goal. I guess that is what I will work on next. First getting the weight training into my routine...yep, that is first.

1 comment:

  1. let me know if you like the shred program. Did Rebecca finish it?

    ReplyDelete