Sunday, October 25, 2009

Food Inc and King Corn

I highly suggest watching these two documentaries. Caution though...it will probably change the way you look at most of the food that you eat. I know it did for me. It goes well with my eating healthy, that is for sure, but in a way I feel like it makes it harder. I think that starting to eat healthier, and by that I mean actual real food, will be harder than just cramming in the low fat food that everyone seems to eat when they diet (and no offense to people who do that, it is just not for me and doesn't really work for me). So here is a quick rundown so you can see if you are interested in the two documentaries...

Food Inc: This is done by the same guys that did Fast Food Nation and In Defense of Food. It is really good but makes you feel really sorry for the animals that they raise for our food.

King Corn: This one is done by two guys that I would guess are around 25-30 or something. They learn all about corn after finding out that it is in their hair...sounds weird but it is mildly entertaining and will anger you with how much the government is at fault for the health of our country.

One main theme in both of these and the few books I have read on the subject is that we now only spend about 10-15% of our income on food. When people were healthier that percent was more like 30%. I am going to try to use this information to not freak out when I see prices for organic or grass fed meat. If I think about the fact that my chances of diabetes and all other kinds of health problems will be reduced should save me enough to pay a little extra for food. I also am thinking about joining a CSA in the spring. I posted it on my other blog but there didn't seem to be anyone who had any thoughts on it so I will just keep the health related stuff here :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I've got to make sure Kim NEVER sees either of these. The list of things I can eat will shrink to sprouts and radishes if she watches those. We've actually read a couple of different economic based books that discuss big agriculture and the effects on small farms and farmers around the world. Shocking and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, don't let Kim watch them...she would be so upset....every person who sees them I think would be affected.

    I think that the parts that sadden me the most is that it wasn't always like this....and America's demand for cheap stuff has actually caused our country to be sick....so we just pay for it in other ways. I wish that there was an easy way to get more people to watch those type of programs because if more people would demand better food and be willing to pay more for it then I think that it would shift a bit. It has only been the current way for 36 years so we can go back. But, as one of those people who shops on the sale flyers, it is hard to reset your thinking and to realize that you are paying for things that you might not be able to physically see. I hope to make the adjustment but I can see where it would be hard for people.

    ReplyDelete