Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 2 of Detox

Yesterday was a rough day for me. My headache was awful all day and I found it hard to concentrate at work. When I got home I went for a bike ride with C and where my heart rate is normally around 130, it was spiked to 160. I am not sure if that related to the fact that the night before I had not slept well and the cats seemed to bother me so my asthma was acting up or if it had to do with something else. Once I calmed down and got into the ride, it slowed back down and was more normal but I just found it weird.

I still feel more full than I normally do and think that I can tell that my blood sugar seems more stable. I have eaten a lot of nuts though and those have fat in them....unfortunately. Without all the salt to retain water, I feel like I pee a lot more.

Last night I had to give in and have some caffeine. My headache was unbearable and I don't plan on giving it up for good so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I think that my recommendation to anyone trying to do this would be to either ween yourself off the caffeine before you start or just to not give up the caffeine. I fully realize that this means that it might not have the full effect that it is supposed to have but I also seriously doubt that one cup of a caffeinated beverage will really derail it completely.

Here are my eats for yesterday and I honestly didn't feel hungry until right before dinner:
breakfast: peach, nuts
snack: grapes, nuts
lunch: brown rice, nuts
dinner: cod with lemon and pepper, snap peas, mashed potatoes (no butter, salt or milk)

Today and probably tonight I will have to eat out so I am going to try to stick to the most unprocessed items I can get but I think that I might struggle a little here. Overall, I feel like the affect is still really good. I haven't eaten anything processed since noon on Saturday so it has been three days and I still feel good (minus the headaches...which someone said could be the toxins leaving, not sure I buy that and I think that it is just caffeine related). I think that I have found easy ways to replace items I would have eaten before and I think that I can follow a healthier diet now than before. So, while I might not have been as strict about the caffeine as I should have been, and while I might have to eat out tonight, I am still WAY better off than I was a week ago. I have also been drinking more water so that has helped a lot too. I think that if I slowly adjust my eating habits to be more like these three days (but adding back in milk and meat) then I think that I will slowly get rid of whatever it is that processed food puts in your body. I am not looking for a quick fix but I do think that these three days have been a good jump start.

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the detox! I think I may try one, but will have to wait until after the half. Detox and training probably do not go well together. Have to ask - how did you do the mash potatoes without milk, butter, salt or pepper? It has got to be healthy, just no idea how to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't recommend doing it while training..in reality it is just tough to get enough calories for training for something like that unless you did it like right now when the mileage was low and ate a lot of the potatoes to carb load.

    I left a little of the water that the potatos cooked in with the potatoes and then mashed them with that instead of the milk and melted butter I usually use. I am allowed pepper (actually one of the best "herbs" or "seasoning" or whatever that you can have) so I just put A LOT of pepper on them. I will say that not using salt really makes you taste the food. I like the taste of potatoes. All growing up I just put a little butter on them...it wasn't until college that I started with cheese, salt and sour cream, so you sort of go back to the roots. I will not cut out salt completely but it is good to know when I can replace it effectively and when I can't. Then I can just use it when I really need it. You could also use chives since those are natural which can add some flavor and crunch, I just didn't have any.

    Also, the cod was delicious!! I only used olive oil, lemons (fresh), pepper, and a little garlic (fresh). YUM!!

    ReplyDelete